Accidents happen. Sometimes these accidents cause damage to the smile. Patients who have cracked or chipped their front tooth may be uncertain as to the solution to fix their tooth and avoid more extensive problems. At Peters Dental Associates, we understand the worry that comes with damage to the smile, and can provide treatment options.
What can be done for a cracked front tooth?
Dr. M. H. Peters of Houston, TX is a dental professional who can provide solutions to patients for their cosmetic and general dentistry needs. Below are a few options for treating a cracked front tooth:
- Dental bonding. A material called composite resin is commonly used for repairing teeth that have been damaged, especially if the damaged portion is relatively small and noticeable. This material is applied to the tooth to cover the crack and reshape the tooth to look like a natural repair.
- Porcelain veneers. Sometimes, bonding a porcelain veneer over the front of the tooth is a relatively easy and long-lasting solution to chips and cracks that are just superficial and aesthetic in nature. Veneers can last ten years or longer with proper care.
- Dental crown. More substantial cracks and chips may need a crown to bond over the tooth to add an extra layer of protection to damaged teeth. These porcelain restorations look completely natural after being custom-made and cemented in place.
- Root canal therapy. If the crack or chip reaches the inner portion of the tooth canals, it can result in an infection of the dental pulp inside. The best treatment for this situation is root canal therapy, which addresses the infection while maintaining the tooth in the smile.
- Tooth replacement. If the chip or crack is extremely large, patients may need to have the tooth extracted and work with their dentist to determine the most appropriate tooth replacement option, including dentures, bridges, or dental implants.
Connect with the team at Peters Dental Associates today to learn more about the treatment of cracked front teeth
Houston, TX patients who are faced with damage to their front teeth are encouraged to request an appointment with the team at Peters Dental Associates. Dr. M.H. Peters is a dentist who is committed to helping patients achieve beautiful, healthy smiles, and address problems as they arise. Contact the office by calling (281) 486-8061 and scheduling an appointment at the office located at 2508 Bay Area Boulevard, Suite 100.